BLOGGER TEMPLATES Funny Pictures

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Creepy issue no. 52 - A Most Private Terror

It's no secret that I am a huge horror nerd and funnybook fan, so I thought I'd drop some thoughts from time to time about random CREEPY stories I've enjoyed from back when horror comics were king and super heroes were still for the soft kids who couldn't handle the real fun stuff.



Creepy issue no. 52

A Most Private Terror

Excellent illustrations by Esteban Maroto of the dark, lonely Canadian tundra; this minimalist landscape works with the story of a long hunter, himself haunted by thoughts of a chance were-beast encounter from long ago.  The cold of the night wears on his body and sanity.  The lone hunter suffers from frost bite and delirium through the night, imagined monsters roam the dark, and soon he believes he is being hunted by a powerful and deadly arctic were-bear; but in true Creepy fashion it turns out to be a cute little bitty bunny rabbit.  I particularly enjoyed the piece of the story where he has to light his legs on fire to keep them from freezing off, his fingers already useless black digits claimed by the coldness of the Canadian tundra.  A truly desperate plight of a man who considered himself a season woodsman, but there is no hiding from the terror that eats from within.  One encounter with a werewolf was enough to taint this guy for life, but I'm still looking for a werewolf chick.    I was inspired by this tale, so I drew a little werewolf guy:

 Esteban is still creating some killer art to this day.  I happen to love this band too.  Old school DEATH!



   

0 comments: